Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hooray for accomplishments!

So today I made my first impressive accomplishment. It had something to do with today's dessert item. Wait until you see.


-------------------------

So, my apartment is right down the street from this quaint, little crêpe store. I've never actually been inside or bought anything but it's cute. As I walked by it today while on my way home from class, I, all of a sudden, got this huge urge for crêpes. I am quite used to the old, basic recipe that my mother uses and that she taught me. There are many variations you can have with filling crêpes, garnishing, but I like to stick with what I know for the most part but I will give you suggestions.

Crêpes are a very simple batter but very tough to fry. Here's a recipe that will make you about 7 crêpes, depending on how big they are and how thin you make them. Nonetheless, the recipe is delicious and you can really do anything.

What you will need in food:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of flower
  • 1 cup of milk
  • pinch of salt
  • some oil
What you will need in utensils:
  • mixing bowl
  • frying pan
  • mixing spoon
  • handheld mixer (optional)
  • measuring cups
What you will need to do:
 1. Crack those eggs into the mixing bowl. Don't do what I did, which is attempt to crack the eggs with one hand. If you have not been professionally trained in the art form, it will backfire on you as it did on me. Though, the egg shells do have plenty of calcium, so if you want some extra calcium, just throw 'em in there, though I don't recommend it considering your crêpes should not really be crunchy.

2. Add mix and flour alternating. Add some milk, add some flour. Add some milk, add some flour. Add some milk, add some flour. DON'T LEAVE ANY CLUMPS! If you have clumps, to get rid of them, use your handheld mixer to make that batter SUPER smooth! 

3. Heat up some oil. Throw that frying pan onto the stove, turn the stove to a medium-high heat and pour a DROP of oil. DO NOT POUR TOO MUCH OIL! Crêpes are thin and do not need to be drowning in the oil. You just need to wet the pan with the oil so the crêpes don't stick to the pan but that's it, no other need! Once the oil has heated go to step 4. 

4. Pour in crêpe mixture. Depending on the size of your pan, pour somewhere between a 1/4 cup of batter to a 1/2 cup. Allow to brown on one side. The side you can see will look like it has dried up, so when you flip it, it shouldn't have any batter flying anywhere. Be careful not to make them too thin because they will rip very, very easily, I would know, I learned that the hard way. When both sides are brown/golden, remove from pan and place on plate. It takes about a minute or two per side. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until batter is finished. 




5. Decorating. Now is the fun part, other than the eating. My usual filling is preserves/jam/marmalade in my favorite flavor (strawberry/raspberry). Just spread the filling in a line in the middle then fold the crêpe in a third over the filling, and then roll it into a tube. Other alternatives that you can try is chocolate, or even the filling from the French toast post (find it here). You can even not make it sweet and put something like ham inside, or fresh fruit, or something like that. Be creative, you really can't ruin it, you would really have to try to ruin them. You can also try an alternative of the usual French style, which is crêpe suzette, which is a crêpe in a hot sauce of caramelized sugar, orange rind, OJ, and liqueur, it is then flambéed, which is just a fancy way of saying that it is set on fire (it's a little too dangerous for me which is why I haven't done it)! Be creative! 

6. One last step, don't skip it! Enjoy your crêpes. 

I didn't really do anything too special, but what is super nice about these yummy treats is that they can be eaten for a regular meal and not really just for dessert. They are really great for dinner with a nice cold cup of milk. Just a suggestion. But still, enjoy them however you'd like!

Keep eating sweetly! :)

P.S. Here's a fun treat for you all, my videos of flipping the crêpe in the pan. Try this only after you've already flipped the crêpe the first time. (So basically you have to flip the crêpe once first and then you can flip it with the pan, otherwise the crêpe kind of sticks to the pan and it doesn't work so well.)


 The first one I flip the crêpe kind of out of range of the camera.
You can't see it in the video, but I always make this ridiculous stance when I do flip the crêpe, as if it will attack me and I have to keep it 3 feet away.
This second video is a little better. It's still not really on camera, but only because it is really difficult to keep the camera still while the other hand is shaking a frying pan. Can I also say that I love that the coil which in real life is red, looks purple on the video, the lighting was awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment