Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Woman says her love handles saved her life.


… or how I got you to read this blog post. :)


I bet that when you read the title for this post you were thinking, “Oh gosh.” Not another one of those blogs. (If you’re actually looking for an article about how a woman’s accoutrements signifying a very large size prolonged her journey into the perilous clutches of death, I’ve included the link at the very bottom of this post!) But since you’ve already devoted the last 20 seconds (an average) of your life to reading this page, I hope you’ll keep moving your eyes in a regular left-to-right sweeping motion down the rest of this page and find yourself pleasantly surprised?!

Here it is --> my first blog post.

EVER.

Ivana’s first post, entitled “In the beginning, there was food,” gave her account of how everything began, so I guess it’s only fitting if I counter with my own version:
In the beginning, there were words. And those words were “I’m hungry.” And being hungry naturally led people to eat food. And eating food led to talking about food. And then there were more words.
In the end, I want this blog to be an eclectic mix of everything I know about food, everything I don’t know about food, and everything that I wish I knew about food. Hopefully you’ll find something that speaks to you. More importantly, I hope that the four thoughts for food that you read in each of my blog posts will make you really hungry – regardless of whether it’s for (another) snack or for learning something new or for realizing that Google really is your friend.


So here goes – your first 4T4F:

1. Your brain likes to eat, and it needs some powerful fuel. Here are 20 foods that will supercharge your brain and maybe (just maybe?!) make you smarter:


  • Avocado
  • Blueberries
  • Wild Salmon
  • Nuts
  • Seeds – sunflower, sesame, etc.
  • Coffee
  • Oatmeal
  • Beans
  • Pomegranate
  • Brown Rice
  • Tea
  • Chocolate
  • Oysters
  • Olive Oil
  • Tuna
  • Garlic
  • Eggs
  • Leafy Green Vegetables
  • Tomatoes
  • Chocolate – it deserves to be on any list twice!!

2. The first true kids’ lunch box (no – I’m not talking about your lunch pail… or even your oiled goatskin… let’s not go that far back!) came out in 1902. It was shaped like a picnic basket and had pictures of playing children on its side. Just a few years and a walk around the block later, my lunch box had Barney on it.

3. About 925 million people go hungry every day. To put it into perspective, that’s a little more than six-and-a-half (6.5) times the population of Russia (as of January 1, 2010).

4. Low fat, whole wheat green tea. Think about it.

I hope you all enjoyed my first post (ever!) and feel free to share who graced the top of your lunch box way back when or if you were more of a brown-paper-bag person!

Cheers,
J

To read the full article related to the title of this blog post, go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment